German Chocolate Cake
Serving a classic, luscious German Chocolate
Cake is a perfect dessert choice. The rich ingredients burst with the
tantalizing flavors of pecans and coconut to the delight of everyone.
Three 9-inch round cake pans
Small saucepan to melt chocolate
Small & large mixing bowls
Spatula or knife
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1/3 cup boiling water
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
Coconut-pecan frosting (recipe following below)
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Line bottoms of cake pans with wax paper for easy removal after baking.
- Mix boiling water and chocolate in saucepan.
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted, then cool.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time. Beat well after adding each one.
- Add chocolate and vanilla. Stir until blended.
- Add flour mixture then buttermilk. Beat well after adding each one.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir egg whites into batter.
- Pour equal amounts into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Upon removing from oven, run spatula or knife around side of cake for easy removal.
- Cool 15 minutes, then remove from pans. Remove wax paper.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare frosting (see below).
About 12-16 servings.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
Spatula or knife
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks, beaten slightly
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups coconut flakes
1 cup chopped pecans
- Stir sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks and margarine in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat.
- Stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.
- Cool slightly.
- Spread coconut-pecan frosting between layers and over top of cake.
About 2 2/3 cups frosting.
Home > Chocolate Recipes > German Chocolate Cake